Thursday, May 10, 2007

Brasstown Bald Mountain


This image of Brasstown Bald was taken around 1980. I remember the day was sunny down below but up here it was frosty cold. Brasstown Bald is a favorite tourist spot in Union County, being the highest point in Georiga. Recently it has been in the news because of a bicycle race, the Tour de Georgia. A guy was fatally injured when coming off the moutain when he rammed his bike into a rock enbankment. Brasstown Bald is a nature lovers paradise with wildlilfe around every bend. Trails branch off around the mountain and views are fantastic. Once a group of us walked quite a distance and were followed by a panther. It screamed like a woman but we never did see it. It made the hairs literally stand up on my arms and I'll never forget the sound. If I remember correctly, Debbie Harkins McCollum Fortenberry, her daughter, Amy McCollum, Shannon Dockery Bakos, and maybe one or two more were on the outing. I wonder if they remember it as well as I do?